Pet odors may remain if your previous tenant kept pets. A smelly rental property can present a significant obstacle, particularly when the prospective tenants lack pets or have a high sensitivity to pet odors. Pet odors can be challenging to get rid of from a rental property, especially if the tenant has occupied the space for a long period or the pets have caused significant damage. These expert tips may be helpful to restore your property and get the pet odors out.
The Quick Science Behind Pet Odors
Pet smells are a common issue in rental homes where pets are permitted. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are produced when bacteria in pet urine and feces decompose, leading to foul odors and illness. Regularly clean carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces to get rid of pet odors, Enzymatic cleaners can also help. In addition to diligent cleaning, it is critical to establish clear expectations for tenants regarding the prevention of pet odors.
Methods for Removing Pet Odors from Your Rental Property
It’s critical to use pet-friendly cleaning supplies when cleaning various surfaces, such as carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces, to protect both people and their animals. Furthermore helpful in avoiding pet odor problems is regular cleaning and maintenance.
- Enzymatic cleaners contain enzymes that degrade the bacteria causing the odor, making them the most efficient way to get rid of pet odors. Carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces are all suitable for enzymatic cleaning. The stains and discolorations left by pet feces and urine can also be effectively removed by them. Nevertheless, their cost may surpass that of alternative cleaning products.
- Baking soda and vinegar are all-natural disinfectants that can assist in getting rid of pet odors. Baking soda absorbs odors and functions as a natural deodorizer. After sprinkling baking soda over carpets and upholstery, vacuum it up after a few hours. To clean hard surfaces, use a spray bottle to combine vinegar and water. As a natural disinfectant, vinegar is effective against bacteria and viruses.
- Activated charcoal is a naturally occurring odor absorber that can assist in getting rid of pet odors. To eliminate odors from the rental property, locate several bowls filled with activated charcoal. But cleaning up afterward can be difficult and messy.
- Air purifiers is effective at eliminating pet odors from the air. Pet dander and additional allergens are filtered out during its operation. But they can be costly and need upkeep on a regular basis.
Keeping Your Rental Property Odor-Free
To keep rental properties odor-free, it’s essential to stop pet odors from developing in the first place. You can prevent pet odors from becoming a problem with routine cleaning and maintenance. The following advice can help avoid pet odors in the future:
- Set clear expectations for tenants with pets. It’s crucial to be clear about expectations with pet-owning tenants so they know what’s expected of them in terms of maintaining the rental property odor-free and clean. This may entail making them regularly clean up after their pets go outside or requiring them to use odor control techniques like pee pads.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance: Odors from pets can be avoided by doing routine maintenance and cleaning. As an example, to prevent the accumulation of pet odors, regularly clean carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces. Cleaning supplies that are safe for people and pets should be used.
- Air purifiers: Pet smells in the air can be eliminated with the use of air purifiers. This involves removing allergens such as pet dander. Installing air purifiers in the rental property’s common areas can help stop pet odors from becoming an issue.
- Limit the number and size of animals: Rental units can minimize damage and odors by restricting the size and number of animals allowed. This may aid in the efficient elimination of pet odors between tenants.
Pet odors can lead to health issues and lower the value of rental properties. Landlords and property managers should be knowledgeable about pet odors and employ effective removal methods, such as air purifiers, baking soda and vinegar, enzymatic cleaners, and activated charcoal, to prevent these problems. In addition, it is critical to limit the number and size of animals in rental units, establish clear expectations for tenants with pets, and perform routine cleaning and maintenance to prevent pet odors. By taking these steps, rental properties can continue to be odor-free and appealing to prospective tenants.
Get in touch with Real Property Management Catalyst right now to begin enjoying the efficiency and peace of mind that come with dealing with a property management firm that serves St. Petersburg and the neighborhood. Contact us online or call us at 727-202-9077.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.